When it comes to fundraising, there’s the small first-time gift that hopefully moves to a recurring gift, and then hopefully—someday--it could develop into a planned gift. It definitely takes some work to understand planned gifts enough that you can confidently encourage donors to make them. In this episode, we focus on new strategies for going after planned gifts or creating better strategies than what you may have in place.
Our guest is Ed Wollman, a founding Partner of Wollman, Gehrke & Associates law firm. He is Board Certified in Wills, Trusts & Estates by The Florida Bar and has a master’s degree in taxation from the University of Florida. Ed focuses his busy practice exclusively on estate planning, trust and probate administration, art law, tax planning, elder law, and charitable giving. Ed earned his Chartered Advisor in Philanthropy (CAP) designation, which qualifies him as a charitable giving and planned giving expert.
In this episode you'll discover:
- What is a planned gift? 01:38
- An outline on how to make a planned gift 02:25
- The different facets of planned giving 04:08
- When does a nonprofit run a planned gift program? 05:25
- What steps do you take to launch a planned giving program? 06:36
- Why do planned gifts matter? (Story) 07:43
- Plan for today and tomorrow 09:20
- A planned gift that made an impact on the nonprofit that received it (Story) 11:41
- Planned giving best practices 13:52
- Lesser known planned gift ideas 16:27
- What do the donors want? 20:00
- What are development officers missing when talking to prospects? 22:28
Coaches Corner Question - We are thinking about starting an endowment to fund operating costs, and are considering a campaign to fund it, what are the first steps? 24:21
This podcast comes to you from IMPACTability® powered by Soukup Strategic Solutions.
IMPACTability® is an online coaching program that helps nonprofit leaders maximize their impact. With Impact Coaches, nonprofit leaders can achieve career goals and have a greater impact on the world around them. Impact Coaches will help you address real-world challenges that you experience in your own nonprofit. By focusing on your strengths as a leader, Impact Coaches can help you apply your knowledge and skills to have a greater impact.
Got a question that you'd like to ask a nonprofit professional? Check out the Coaches Corner in every episode, where our Impact Coaches answer your questions regarding your nonprofit. Email your questions to IMPACTcoaches@IMPACTability.net and listen to next week’s episode to see if your question gets answered!
Leave a review: Reviews are hugely important because they help new people discover this podcast. If you enjoyed listening to this episode, please leave us a review.
Visit our websites at:
This podcast uses the following third-party services for analysis:
Chartable - https://chartable.com/privacy